Read any healthy living webpage, magazine, or blog and you will see the emphasis that is placed on drinking water as part of a balanced health plan. But, do you know why drinking water is so important to your well-being? Water makes up almost two-thirds of our bodies and influences 100% of our bodies’ processes, making proper hydration absolutely vital. Check out some of the reasons why water should be your go-to beverage choice:
- It can help with weight loss by making you feel more full and boosting your metabolism.
- It improves digestion by dissolving fats and soluble fiber and flushes waste creating less of a burden on your kidneys and liver.
- It may reduce the risk of some types of cancer. Research shows lower incidences of bladder, colon, and breast cancer with increased water intake.
- It energizes the body as fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration and it can prevent headaches for the same reason.
- It protects our joints by hydrating the surrounding cartilage. Cartilage is almost 85% water!
- It helps us think more clearly and stay alert. Dehydration affects your attention span, memory, motor skills, and causes shrinkage of brain tissue making your brain work harder to achieve the same results.
Like any other wellness activity, sometimes we just need a little help staying on track with our water consumption. The intention is there to drink more water, but the follow through is not. There are numerous free apps that can be downloaded to help you track your water intake and even set alarms to remind you to drink on a regular basis.