for serving adjustment
Serving size has been adjusted!
Original recipe yields 16 servings
Note: Recipe directions are for original size.
Nutrition per serving may change if servings are adjusted.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Oikos Fat Free Black Cherry Fruit On The Bottom Greek Yogurt 5.3 Oz 4 pack
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven 325°F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Coat the paper and sides of the pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk almond flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, granulated sugar, coconut oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in carrots and 1 cup walnuts, if using. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting: Beat cream cheese, yogurt, confectioners’ sugar and coconut extract, if using, in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer, top-side down, on a cake stand or plate. Spread evenly with ½ cup frosting. Set the remaining cake layer, top-side down, on top. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with walnuts, if desired.