Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate love and a healthy heart is one of the greatest gifts you can give the ones you love. February is American Heart Month – a time to evaluate your heart health and commit to a healthy lifestyle. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the US, but it is a condition that is often preventable and can be managed by making healthy choices.
- Schedule a physical with your doctor and receive basic testing (such as blood pressure and cholesterol) to determine your current heart health state.
- Add exercise to your daily routine and increase frequency as your physical well-being improves.
- Cook heart-healthy, low sodium, and low fat meals with fresh ingredients.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Take steps to quit smoking.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Control high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes with the help of your doctor.
Small changes can make a big impact with heart health. Make a commitment to a lifetime of healthy choices for you and your family this month.